Pages

Friday 27 August 2010

Don't Tell Me I'm Not Trying.

As you all know, I am currently unemployed and I've been trying all summer to try and find a job. That's 4 months of job hunting, filling out application forms and sending my CV in to so many places and being unsuccessful. The unemployment level in Northern Ireland is so high that every time a job offer opens, around 600 people apply for it.

The BBC even did a report on the unemployment level in Northern Ireland in early July of this year, one of the months in which I was hunting, which you read here.

However, it has come to my attention that several people are calling me "unemployable" and telling me that I am not trying hard enough to find a job. Well, let me tell you something my friends. I applied for Primark, I was application number 426 and the applications were still open for another week. Ikea Belfast had recruitment for 3-5 positions and they had 600 applications and it was open for another week. I have applied for every job that I meet the requirements for.

So don't tell me I'm not trying because I am. Don't tell me I'm unemployable, because I am. The level of unemployment is so high that even those most qualified to do the jobs they are applying for aren't being employed. And to further enhance my point, I have created a list of all the jobs I have applied for this summer.

  • B and M Bargains (twice)
  • Quiz
  • D2
  • New Look
  • Pizza Hut
  • Poundstretcher
  • Imaging Solutions
  • Charco Grill
  • Summer Scheme
  • Editor and Dragonfly Boutique
  • Tescos
  • Monsoon
  • Accessorize
  • Delaneys
  • Clinton Cards
  • Argos
  • Primark
  • Diamond and Pearls
  • TK Maxx
  • Debenhams
  • A bed and breakfast (name undisclosed for privacy reasons)

Out of that list, I have had 2 interviews and was rejected from both of them. Most of them didn't even bother their backsides to reject me in the first place. Employers are able to be fussy and pick those who meet the requirements solidly rather than give those who maybe fail on one department a chance. There are other stores that I am applying to in the next week also, so add another 2 to the list and whatever else may pop up between now and then.

So there you go. I am trying my hardest and I am employable, it's just that the level is too fucking high for anyone to want me. Do you think it's easy surviving a 4 month summer with no money? Do you think I want to live like this? No, I don't. So don't tell me I'm not trying, because I am.

Until tomorrow,
Sami

0 comments:

Post a Comment